Fr. Andy was born in Broken Bow, Nebraska, on December 21, 1944. Upon graduation from high school, he attended Chadron State College, Chadron, Nebraska, from 1963-66. He then entered the military, serving four years with the Marine Corps as a special radio op with a Top Secret Security Clearance.
He married Karen McMaster in February of 1969 while stationed in Japan. Kevin, their youngest son, was born at Camp Zama Army hospital in Japan in 1970.
They returned to Chadron so Fr. Andy complete his Bachelor of Science degree in Education after leaving active duty. Shortly after earning his BS in Ed, he and Karen became members of St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Gering, Nebr., where he served on the vestry and was junior warden. He and Karen taught for seven years in Nebraska before moving to Pahrump, Nevada, where they adopted their oldest son, Parley. They helped start and build a new church, and he became a licensed Lay Minister for the Methodist church.
After Fr. Andy spent 16 years teaching mathematics and coaching football, wrestling, and baseball in Nevada, they moved to Missouri. They continued their teaching careers and became members of St. Mark's Episcopal Church where he served as an EM.
In 2001, they moved to California to teach. Karen and Fr. Andy retired from education after 36 and 35 years respectfully. They were members of the Episcopal Church of St. Anne in Stockton where they served on the Altar Guild, and Fr. Andy was an Eucharistic Minister and vestry member. After much coaxing by the former Canon to the Ordinary, the Rev. Mark Hall, retired, he entered the Church Divinity School of the Pacific where he earned an MDiv in the process of seeking Holy Orders. In March of 2012, the Rt. Rev. Chester Talton celebrated Mass and ordained the Rev. Carolyn Woodall and Andy to the Sacred Order of Deacons.
As a Transitional Deacon, he was assigned to St. Paul's, Modesto for six months under the supervision of the Rev. Kathleen West. On October 6th of 2012, he was ordained to the Sacred Order of Priests by Bishop Talton and served the Diocese of San Joaquin as a supply priest for the first quarter of 2013.
Deacon Carolyn was born in New Orleans in 1953. Being in a Navy family, she traveled extensively. She attended California State College, Stanislaus. (BA in Sociology, 1975) She joined the Navy in 1976 and, while on active duty, attended National University, San Diego. (MBA, 1983) In 1983 she transferred into the Naval Reserve and moved to Sonora (retiring in 1997 with the rank of Commander). She attended law school at Humphrey's College School of Law, Stockton, CA. (JD, 1987) She was admitted to the State Bar of California in December 1987.
Having spent thirteen years in private practice in Modesto, Deacon Carolyn joined the Law Office of the Public Defender in Sonora, CA in 2001, and is currently employed there as a Deputy Public Defender.
After attending the Episcopal School for Deacons in Berkeley, CA, she was ordained to the Sacred Order of Deacons on March 10, 2012, by the Rt. Rev. Chester Talton.
Deacon Carolyn is the first transgender person ordained in the Diocese of San Joaquin and
her ministry focus is working to foster full inclusiveness in the church for LGBT Christians. She chairs the Commission on Equality for the Diocese.
Born in Arkansas in 1941, Bishop Talton has spent much of his life in California. He attended California State University, Hayward (B.S. 1965) and Church Divinity School of the Pacific, Berkeley, (M.Div.'70, D.D.'92).
He was first ordained deacon in June 1970 and priest in February 1971, in the Diocese of California. He has served at churches in Berkeley, Carmel, Chicago, Saint Paul, and spent nine years in New York City as Mission Officer of Trinity Church (Wall Street) and the Rector of St. Philip's Church (Harlem), prior to becoming Bishop Suffragan (a type of assisting bishop) of Los Angeles in 1991.
Bishop Talton retired from Los Angeles in 2010 after serving as Bishop Suffragan for 19 years. Bishop Talton has four adult children. He and his wife, April, divide their time between the Diocese of San Joaquin and their home in Pasadena.